by Mallie Stewart, University of Kentucky Nutrition Student
Can you believe it? We are less than a week from Thanksgiving. That seems crazy to me, but 2020 has been such a blur because of the pandemic. This pandemic has stolen a lot of great memories, milestones, holidays, etc… from us. But the one thing it hasn’t stolen from us, is our willingness to put on an apron and pull out the cookbook. Quarantine has given us a lot of time to make and try new recipes. I think at one point in quarantine I was cooking four new recipes a day, because I had nothing else to do besides eat.
Anyway, two things that seem to bring joy to a lot of people is soup and fall. Fall is such a beautiful season and brings such newness and life as the leaves change colors and dance off the trees. When fall rolls around, I pull out my Dutch oven and start making soup from scratch. Fall is the ultimate soup season, so that’s why I have decided to dive in and make some delicious pumpkin soup.
I think it’s a bad omen when you don’t eat at least one pumpkin/pumpkin spice thing in the fall season. Believe it or not, pumpkin provides many essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, C, E, and the list continues. Pumpkin soup is a delicious way to get it all.
Pumpkin Soup Recipe:
Number of servings: 4
- ¾ cup of water, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 2 cups of unsalted vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 green onion top, chopped
- Large saucepan, heat ¼ cup water over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender. Do not let the onion dry out.
- Add the remaining water, pumpkin, broth, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bring this to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in milk and cook until hot.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts: serving size 1 cup
- Calories: 77
- Protein: 3g
- Total carbohydrate: 14g
- Dietary fiber: 4g
- Sodium: 57mg
- Total fat: 1g
- Trans fat: 0g
Pumpkin soup. (2014, September 13). Retrieved November 09, 2020, from https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/recipes/pumpkin-soup/rcp-20049697